Decided to broaden my sushi horizons and I am absolutely obsessed.
Post 3 Eel and Avocado Rolls (aka 1,000 calories, 50g Fat, 60g Protein, & 93g of Carbs) Luckily I am an athlete!
Here is the skinny:
Sushi can be a very healthy balanced meal rich in omega-3 fatty acids and protein . However, what you order and how much determine whether you consume a 300 calorie or 1000 calorie meal. Three rules: 1. Use sauces sparingly. They pack on extra calories, sodium, and fat. 2. The words spicy, crispy, and tempura are not a friend to your waistline. Spicy usually means chili sauce and mayo, crispy and tempura indicate frying in fattening oils. 3. Limit yourself to 2-4 rolls.
1. Cucumber Roll: 135 calories F0 P6 C30
2. California Roll: 225 calories F7 P9 C38 (ehhhhh)
3. Avocado Roll: 140 calories F8 P2 C28 (low calorie/healthy fat)
4. Eel and Avocado Roll: 372 calories F17 P C31 P20 (Of course this is my favorite roll! Trim the fat and up the nutrients by opting for brown rice and no sugary sauce)
5. Spicy Tuna Roll: 290 calories F11 P24 C27 (again ask for no sauce)
6. Shrimp Tempura Roll : 508 calories F21 P20 C64 (Tempura= deep fried)
7. Sashimi Roll: 35 calories F1.5 P6 C0
Life is short. If you love the Shrimp Tempura Roll, order 1 and then pick 2-3 healthier options. OR order 2 and work them off. Practice balance every single day!
Turkey burger patty over turkey bacon wrapped asparagus, mixed greens and fat free feta cheese tossed in yogurt parmesan caesar dressing
Turkey Burger Ingredients:
•1/2 lb ground turkey
•2 tbs chopped red onion
•2 tbs yellow bell pepper
•salt-free garlic and herb dressing
Combine ingredients in a bowl and form into two 1/4 lb patties. Grill until desired.
Turkey Bacon Wrapped Asparagus
Bake asparagus on 375 until it starts to brown. Wrap turkey bacon around 1-3 spears (HOT! be careful!) and continue to bake until bacon is cooked.
Salad Fixings for 1
•1 cup of mixed greens
•1 tbs of Bolthouse Farms Parmesan Caesar Dressing
•1 tbs of fat-free feta
Toss in a bowl.
•1/2 pound ground turkey
•1/2 cup fresh salsa
•1/4 cup nonfat plain greek yogurt
•1/4 cup reduced fat mexican mix cheese
•1/2 bell pepper
•1/2 avocado (mine weren’t ripe but great addition)
• 2 large bowls
1) Sauté ground turkey and season with chili powder, paprika, cayenne pepper, onion powder, and garlic powder.
2) Chop lettuce and place into each bowl.
3) Divide meat and top over each bowl of chopped lettuce.
4) Divide and add salsa, nonfat plain greek yogurt, reduced fat mexican mix cheese, peppers, and avocado (mine weren’t ripe but great addition).
Bacon Egg and Cheese Muffins!!
-2 egg whites
-2 slices of turkey bacon
-1/4 slice of cheese (I used Applegate American because life is short and 1/4 slice of cheese won’t make or break your diet! Your body NEEDS some fat. Remember balance and moderation are key to staying on track!)
-Nonstick cooking spray
1. Preheat oven to 350.
2. Spray two cupcake tins with nonstick spray for one serving. You can make more than one serving by doubling ingredients.
3. Line with turkey bacon 1 per tin. I have found this works best if you rip the bacon in half and face curved edge down. Ends of bacon will overlap.
4. Mix egg and egg white in a bowl and pour 1/2 egg mixture into each tin.
5. Bake for 15-20 minutes.
6. Turn off oven. Cut 1/4 slice of cheese in half and put on top of muffin. Leave in oven for 1-2 minutes (until melted).
7. ENJOY 🙂